Merriam-Webster describes alcoholism like this:
- Continued excessive or compulsive use of alcoholic drinks
- a. Poisoning by alcohol.
- b. A chronic disorder marked by excessive and usually compulsive drinking of alcohol leading to psychological and physical dependence or addiction
Alcoholism is usually characterized by the following traits:
- Craving –
- The overwhelming need or compulsion to drink.
- Loss of Control –
- The inability to stop consuming alcohol once a person begins.
- Physical Dependence –
- When alcohol consumption is stopped after a period of heavy use, withdrawal symptoms such as nausea, sweating, anxiety and shakiness. These symptoms are relieved by taking another drink or by the use of sedatives.
- Tolerance –
- To achieve the same “high” greater amounts of alcohol are required.
Alcoholism actually has little to do with the type of drink or the amount consumed, but everything to do with the person’s inability to limit the need for alcohol. With
prolonged use of alcohol, the brain chemistry changes and becomes accustomed to and dependent upon presence. The body and brain’s desire for more alcohol can become stronger
than even the need for food or water.
The question is asked: Why do some individuals develop a dependency on alcohol and others are able to remain casual users? It is thought that alcoholism is an inherited,
genetic disease. But genetics is only part of the equation. Environmental factors such as peer influences, availablility of alcohol, economic difficulties, etc. play an
important role in determining the likelihood of the development of alcoholism.
New Hope Recovery Center is a residential drug and alcohol treatment center, located in Chicago, Illinois (IL). New Hopes staff of addiction recovery
professionals include certified addiction counselors, doctors specializing in addiction counseling, family therapist, consulting psychiatrist, licensed clinical social workers and
other treatment professionals that include adult women and men. We provide drug addiction treatment to adults 18 and over, males, females , and counseling to parents,
spouses, siblings and other family members involved in the lives of our patients. We have been successful to help alcoholics and drug addicts suffering from alcoholism
and drug addiction from drugs that include alcohol, meth “speed”, cocaine and other stimulants, narcotic opiates such as heroin, methadone, oxyContin, vicodin,
and other narcotic painkillers, and sedative benzodiazepines. New Hope is a successful drug rehab center offering the best alcohol and drug rehabilitation treatment with
a high success rate. New Hope drug rehab center will help the alcoholic and drug addict re-acquire the ethics and morals that once existed before drugs entered into their
AddressNew Hope Recovery Center
2835 N Sheffield Ave
Chicago, Illinois (IL) 60657
PhoneIntake and Assessment Office
Toll Free: 888-707-4673
|Join Our Mailing List|