Self Test for Family Members & Friends
Please answer yes or no to the following questions:
- Are you ever afraid to be around the person when he or she is drinking or using drugs because of the possibility of verbal or physical abuse?
- Do you worry about the person's drinking or drug use?
- Has the person broken promises to control or stop his/her drinking or drug use?
- Have you ever made excuses for the way the person behaved while drinking or using?
- Do you feel guilty about the person's drinking or drug use?
- Do you feel anxious or tense around the person because of his or her drinking or drug use?
- Are you afraid to ride with the person after he or she has been drinking or using?
- Have you ever lied to anyone else about the person's drinking or drug use?
- Have you ever helped the person "cover up" for a drinking or using episode by calling his or her employer, or telling others that he or she is feeling "sick"?
- Have you ever been embarrassed by the person's drinking or drug use?
This test was created by the Johnson Institute to identify families affected by drug and alcohol addiction. If you have answered yes to three or more questions, there is a good chance that your friend or family member needs help. Please contact us for further information about addiction treatment for your loved one. New Hope Recovery Center also provides resources and information for families of addicts and alcoholics.