Drug Addiction Self-Test
The Drug Abuse Screening Test (DAST), originally developed by H. A. Skinner, can help you determine if you have a problem with drugs or substances. Drug abuse refers to (1) the use of prescribed or “over-the-counter” drugs in excess of the directions, and (2) any non-medical use of drugs.
1. Have you used drugs other than those required for medicinal reasons?
2. Have you abused prescription drugs?
3. Do you abuse more than one drug at a time?
4. Can you get through the week without using drugs (other than those required for medical reasons)?
5. Are you always able to stop using drugs when you want to?
6. Have you had “blackouts” or “flashbacks” as a result of drug use?
7. Do you ever feel bad or guilty about your drug use?
8. Does your spouse (or parents) ever complain about your involvement with drugs?
9. Has drug abuse created problems between you and your spouse or parents?
10. Have you ever lost friends because of your use of drugs?
11. Have you neglected your family or missed work because of your use of drugs?
12. Have you been in trouble at work or school because of drug abuse?
13. Have you lost a job or missed school assignments because of drug abuse?
14. Have you gotten into fights when under the influence of drugs?
15. Have you engaged in illegal activities in order to obtain drugs?
16. Have you been arrested for possession of illegals drugs?
17. Have you ever experienced withdrawal symptoms (felt sick) when you stopped taking drugs?
18. Have you had medical problems as a result of your drug use (e.g. memory loss, hepatitis, convulsions, bleeding, etc.)?
19. Have you gone to anyone for help for a drug problem?
20. Have you been involved in a treatment program specifically related to drug use?
For all questions other than 4 and 5, add one point for each “yes” answer. Add one point for any “no” answer to questions 4 and 5.
Total of 6 or higher – You have a problem with drugs. Please contact New Hope Recovery Center for a more complete assessment and for possible assistance.
Subscribe To Our News Feed